1242 WHITNEY AVE • HAMDEN, CT • 06517
PHONE • 203.200.0350
Years ago, I made this cake with purple hearts strung on ribbon. It was on my website for a while until I finally got sick of it or was embarrassed by it, I can’t remember which, and took it down.
(“Oh, but Erica,” you say. “How could you be embarrassed by such perfection? Such genius?” Look closely. See how the edges are rounded? How light in color the top two tiers are? How the sides of each tier bulge out? That’s how.)
I did the purple heart cake many years ago, and I totally forgot about it until recently when I saw a similar cake on Eat Cake Be Merry. I’ve wanted to do an Old, New, Borrowed, Blue cake for a while, so I thought I’d revisit my original design.
A few simple steps include:
1. Color fondant and cut out small discs. (I used the second smallest cutter in the Ateco round set.)
2. Trace cutter onto paper to create template.
3. Determine where holes should be.
4. Mark holes on fondant discs with pointy object. (I used floral wire.)
5. Make holes using tip # 4 (or larger) while fending off baby Mia.
6. Allow discs to dry overnight or longer. Then string onto ribbon.
7. Use FMM Tappits to cut out letters. (Tappits can be very hard to work with. Click here and scroll to the bottom of the post for some tips and tricks.)
8. Fend off Mia again.
9. Apply to cake with royal icing and enjoy.
Copyright 2014 Erica O’Brien LLC. All Rights Reserved.