1242 WHITNEY AVE • HAMDEN, CT • 06517
PHONE • 203.200.0350
I created this DIY wedding cake as part of an ongoing project with Project Wedding. Look for more DIYs monthly.
I’m a sprinkle kind of girl, through and through. My ideal ice-cream-to-sprinkle ratio is 1:1. Actually, I’ve been known to forgo the ice cream completely and go straight for the sprinkles. And my movie theater candy? Sno-Caps, of course.
Although I love and appreciate the sprinkle for its confectionary prowess, it does lack a certain esthetic appeal, particularly the brightly colored rainbow variety that is so near and dear to my heart. Since pastel sprinkles are so hard to find, I make my own. And when Project Wedding asked me to create a wedding cake DIY, I knew exactly what I’d do.
1. Here’s what you’ll need (clockwise from left):
food-use only ruler
small sprinkles or nonpareils (available at most crafts stores)
piping gel (available at most crafts stores)
small flexible cup
petal dust in desired shade (we like Crystal Colors brand)
food-use only paintbrush
2. Remove shaker cap from sprinkles to speed pouring.
3. Empty into ziplock bag.
4. Pour a small amount of petal dust into bag. (Remember you can always add more, so start with a little.)
5. Shake the bag until dust is evenly distributed. If color is not dark enough, add more dust and repeat until desired depth of color is achieved.
6. Using tapemeasure, determine the spacing and width of stripes.
7. Dip paintbrush in piping gel.
8. Using ruler as a guide to acheive a straight line, brush a generous amount of piping gel onto cake with short, even strokes.
9. Repeat on the right side of line. You want the gel to be thick enough for the nonpareils to stick but not too gloppy.
10. Empty colored sprinkles into small cup. Try not to touch them so as not to rub off the petal dust.
11. Gently pour sprinkles onto cake. You will have many extra sprinkles. Pour onto a sheet of parchment creased in the middle and pour back into small cup. Repeat process until all lines are finished.
Copyright 2014 Erica O’Brien LLC. All Rights Reserved.