Fave Finds is Erica OBrien Cake Design’s weekly list of the products, gizmos, gadgets, tools and must-haves we’re wanting, needing, buying or using. Have a great product you’d like to see on our list? We’d love to hear about it! Please feel free to leave a comment or contact us.
Here’s what’s in our shopping cart this week.
1. Brush Embroidery Stencils. I started with cake design way before fondant, when piped roses were all the rage. My flowers are pretty good, and I can pipe a mean bead border, but brush embroidery is something I’ve always struggled with. I have a giant cake coming up this weekend with a brush embroidery design, and I’m planning to cheat a bit with these stencils.
2. Mini Steamer. For sugar flowers that have been dusted with petal dust, I’ll use this steamer to help set and deepen the color, giving them a more subtle, natural appearance, as well as giving them a slight sheen. I’ll also use it to steam fabric that I’m using for window displays or photo backdrops. It’s a win-win.
3. Wilton Royal Icing Letters How adorable are these? I have no idea what I’ll do with them, and at around $1 each, they’re excessively overpriced, but they’re just so darn cute.
4. Sprinkles! Cookbook. What can I say? You had me at Sprinkles (and you didn’t even need the exclamation mark). I’ve had a lifelong obsession with sprinkles. (Here’s a cake with a sprinkle design I did a while back.) With tons of recipes, all incorporating sprinkles, this is the book for me.
5. Clay Shapers. Although these are intended for use with wet clay, I find that they’re perfect for molding fondant. I don’t do much sculpting, but they’re great for smoothing seams. I’m not sure how the sizing works (this pack is a 6; there’s also a 2 and a 0 but I have no idea what the numbers mean), so you might have to do some research to figure out which ones will work for you.