1242 WHITNEY AVE • HAMDEN, CT • 06517
PHONE • 203.200.0350
Fave Finds is Erica OBrien Cake Design’s weekly list of the products, gizmos, gadgets, tools and must-haves we’re wanting, needing, buying or using. Have a great product you’d like to see on our list? We’d love to hear about it! Please feel free to leave a comment or contact us.
Here’s what’s in our shopping cart this week.
1. Dehumidifier. I haven’t actually bit the bullet and purchased one yet, but I really need to. If anything can bring me to tears it’s working with fondant when it’s humid. We’re very fortunate to have air conditioning in the kitchen of my shop, but when it’s really humid even that doesn’t cut it. Patricia from Yummy Cakes and Cupcakes told me that it’s very humid in her part of Australia, and a dehumidifier does the trick. This one has good ratings and I like that it’s energy efficient, but you’ll want to determine what size you need based on your space.
2. PME Sugarcraft Lustre Spray. I have an airbrush but I’m super lazy about setting it up. Erin from Wild Orchid Baking Company has a cool technique she shares in her Craftsy Class using Wilton’s spray on luster. I’m collaborating with her on a project and want to test out her method using this spray.
3. Paper to Petal. Gorgeous paper flower inspiration. I’m hoping to get some tips and learn a few techniques to use with wafer paper flowers.
4. Isomalt. It’s just easier and faster for making sugar decorations than granulated sugar and doesn’t crystalize as easily. I plan to use it with a silicone mold (below) to create a design I’m working on.
5. Silicone Mold. I need a rectangular mold for my project, but I like the oval too. I have a silicone ice cube tray that I’ll be using for squares. I’m hoping to create an edible collage out of sugar “glass” and wafer paper confetti based on this glass gallery wall:
Copyright 2014 Erica O’Brien LLC. All Rights Reserved.