I’ve been wanting to do a cake with fondant succulents literally for years. I even tried a few years back, but with no actual occasion to make it for, I got frustrated and gave up rather quickly. This time, with a deadline and a design, I had no choice but to persevere when the going got tough. (And it did. As did the fondant.)
I wish I could share some tips on how I did it, but it was one of those things where it just flows so naturally, it’s like you’ve been doing it all your life and you’re not cognizant of the process. I was pretty happy with the results. (I’m never 100% satisfied.) I get asked a lot if the succulents are real, which I think is a good sign.
Here are some pictures, in no particular order, of the cake and flowers.