1242 WHITNEY AVE • HAMDEN, CT • 06517
PHONE • 203.200.0350
Well we moved to Connecticut just two days before the hurricane (my husband, a California native, was both horrified and fascinated) and a few days after the earthquake (my husband, a California native, felt right at home). So far, I’ve found two good things about Connecticut, namely:
1. My family is here and
2. The spray paint at Home Depot is not held captive behind a metal cage but is instead displayed freely on the shelves like any other paint. (I am a big consumer of spray paint and am therefore intimately familiar with the challenges of securing a disgruntled Home Depot employee from the paint department who no doubt looks upon spray paint with disdain and asking him to unlock said cage to liberate the chosen can.)
It seems I seriously overestimated the amount of blogging I’d be doing, and my efforts have been thwarted mostly because I:
1. Have no time and
2. Have no internet even though we moved on August 26th.
If that sounds like an awfully long time to be internetless (and trust me, it is), you can thank:
1. Hurricane Irene, which (a) put new cable installation low down on the list of priorities for the cable companies, making it extremely difficult to get an appointment and (b) also made it impossibly humid so that when the cable company did finally arrive to install the cable, the newly refinished floors still weren’t dry (even though it had been a week) and couldn’t be walked on and
2. Comcast, who, once we were finally able to reschedule our appointment, said they would be at our house between 2pm and 5pm and called at 7pm (by which time we were en route to my sister’s house for dinner) to say they were on their way. Their next available appointment was not until this Wednesday, so my husband opted to wait for AT&T whose next available appointment is on Saturday, September 17th.
Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Dude, you should just take your laptop, head to Starbucks, grab a latte, and blog from there like a normal person.” This would be a good option, but:
1. My laptop go stolen out of my house about a month before we moved and
2. I quit caffeine (it’s like crack for me) on September 1st.
Meanwhile, I’ve been considerably more productive around the house without the interruption of the internet, and have made some good progress on the search for commercial space. My sister (The Soup Girl ) and I will be sharing kitchen space and dividing the front of the house into consultation space for me and a retail area for her. After viewing several spaces, I think we’ve found a place that has reasonable rent and ample kitchen space in North Haven, about five minutes from my house. I should know more in the coming days. (Of course I wanted to document the whole process in film but:
1. I couldn’t find the camera and
2. Even if I could find the camera, my husband hasn’t hooked up the computer yet so I don’t have access to our photo editing software.)
My sister and I are really excited about the new venture, and I will definitely be sharing photos of our progress going forward.
Other than that, things should be back to normal by this weekend. Thanks for your patience and for hanging in there with me. I look forward to more blogging soon.
Copyright 2014 Erica O’Brien LLC. All Rights Reserved.